- Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson signed Generation Screwed’s Future Generations Protection Pledge today
- By signing the pledge, candidates commit to balancing the budget within 24 months if they become Prime Minister and to put forward a debt repayment plan
MONTRÉAL, QC : Today, surrounded by students, Conservative leadership candidate Rick Peterson became the second signatory of Generation Screwed’s Future Generations Protection Pledge, promising, if elected Prime Minister, to:
- Present a balanced budget to the House of Commons within 24 months after taking office – stopping the federal debt clock;
- After the budget is balanced, commit to running ONLY balanced budgets in all times outside of war or natural disaster; and
- Legislate a debt repayment schedule, dedicating a portion of annual revenues towards eliminating the debt.
“I have three young children, and I am committed to following Generation Screwed’s lead and leadership in the fight for intergenerational equity,” said Peterson. “It’s the right thing to do for Canada.”
As Canada’s federal debt surpasses $600 billion, the Generation Screwed movement is trying to get all leadership candidates of both the Conservative Party and NDP leadership races to stand behind its pledge to promote intergenerational equity.
“We are happy to see our pledge is gaining traction,” said Generation Screwed Executive Director Aaron Gunn. “So far we have two signatories with eight more candidates committed to sign and only four refusing to do so.”
For more information, contact:
Aaron Gunn, Executive Director